Sunday, February 27, 2011

Yay! Someone, at last, has created a repository for fraudulent spam emails to be analysed and "dealt with".

It's http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/

and, lo and behold, they have created an email address to which we can all send fraudulent email, once only, so they have a record.

It's

email@actionfraud.org.uk


I sent a couple yesterday. I spend some time copying and pasting the full headers. I don't know if these guys knw something I don't, but I need the headers to work out what is going on. Just copying the email is a pure waste of time.

I tried to send a couple more today. Spent a few mins on the headers, as yesterday.

I get a 550 on the first one - it just said it was SPAM. Well, hey, I knew that already.

Here's the second:


A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

  actionfraud@attorneygeneral.gsi.gov.uk
    (ultimately generated from email@actionfraud.org.uk)
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host cluster.gsi.messagelabs.com [85.158.143.19]:
    553-Message filtered. Please see the FAQs section on spam
    553-at http://www.messagelabs.com/support/ for more
    553 information. (#5.7.1)


So, hang on a mo. They're asking me to send SPAM to this address, and messagelabs, bless 'em, are filtering it all out.

So, someone, somewhere hasn't really thought this out properly...?
Nothing new there.